Monday, March 4, 2013

readysetGO!!


Having an internship is no joke. Today was a boatload of new information, expectations, and project ideas. I met the director of DNS, Sally Shuffield, as well as the current college intern, Rachel. I sat down with Sally in order to flesh out my project plan: I will be researching possible grants for DNS and compiling them into a list with short descriptions of basic info and why I think they would be a good fit. At around the 2 week mark, I will choose one to which to write a grant request. This encompasses the behind the scenes aspect of my internship. I also spoke with Rachel today about what my curriculum plan will look like. It will be a plan for the 6th grade Children Discovering Nature classroom portion. More to come on that as I research further.
            Finally, today I started into the program aspect of things. I went and helped Rachel teach a Nature club meeting to 7 squirmy little kindergarten and 1st graders. It was hectic, but we managed to teach them a bit about the State reptile: the western painted turtle (hopefully). And we will be teaching the same lesson to a different group of kids tomorrow!
            Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment