Tuesday, March 5, 2013

        Today was almost as different from yesterday as you could get! I really appreciated it, because the quiet pace gave me time to process the information about the program thatI got yesterday. I finally got to begin searching for information for my 6th grade lesson plan. I am still trying to sort out what exactly someone should be teaching 6th graders about in the field of geology, climate change, and weather. It is difficult to know how much information should be contained in a one hour lesson plan! However, I came up with a bit of an outline today, so I am on my way!
        I also got to work with some of the kids at Animas Valley today! It was very different from the Nature club yesterday; the kids were very engaged, and we managed to get through every activity we had planned! It just goes to show you how the same lesson can change based on the kids, the day, and how much you know. I am finding it really helpful to be a bit more familier with the lesson, so that I can focus on helping the kids out a bit more. It is so rewarding to see these kids pay attention and remember these concepts about the western painted turtle that even I did not know before I taught this lesson.
        This internship is giving me a lot of independence within my project, and I also feel like I am getting a great insight into the workings of a non-profit. Tomorrow, I have yet another nature club with the kids at Needham, and I also will begin working on my grant research at the library.
        Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment