Friday, March 15, 2013

Second Week!

        I had a meeting with Allison and Klancy today about how I think my internship has gone so far. I have been really pleased with what I have gotten to do on my internship, and I think that next week, I might even get to teach the kids a larger portion of the lesson. It's a little nerve-wracking  because kids can be harsh critics, but I think it will be a great experience. And I really have to thank Allison and Klancy, and Rachel as well, for helping me learn teaching tools. I think that even if you are not going to be a teacher, it is important to know how to get people to listen to you.
        In other news, we got the 6th grade curriculum back, and it looks like we have a lot to do. But we are focusing more on the outdoor activities, so if anyone has great activities for kids to learn about weathering, erosion, and general geology, give me a shout.
        I conducted my mentor interview with Sally Shuffield, the executive director of DNS, today. The transcript will be posted on monday, but SPOILER: She used to be a musician! In fact, apparently she toured around for 6 years and was nationally ranked! I was really surprised. She even has her own website! You should check it out, her music is really awesome! Click here to go to her website!
But really, when I post the transcript, you might want to take time to read it. Sally has had a really interesting path to get to where she is today, and I think it can shed some light on our futures as we try to figure out where we are going and how we will get there (to college AND BEYOND!).

No comments:

Post a Comment